She Said What?!?

Friday, May 20, 2005

Mr. Big

-Ain't no talkin' to this man, ain't no pretty other side
Ain't no way to understand the stupid words of pride
it would take an acrobat, and I already tried all that so
i'm gonna let him fly

things can move at such a pace, the second hand just waved goodbye
you know the light has left his face but can't recall just where or why
so there was really nothing to it, i just went and cut right through it
i said i'm gonna let him fly

-Patty Griffin, "Let Him Fly"

Regarding "Sex (And Sex) (And More Sex) and The City" (will we ever tire of our SATC six-season DVD collection? I have been through each multiple times!), remember this one positive for all you idealists: Carrie gets the guy she was meant for in the end. I guess patience can be a virtue.

I have another question which has been posed over and over in the case of Carrie and Mr. Big on Sex and the City: What makes a guy commitment-phobic? Of all the guys Carrie dated, she fell the hardest for Big and he screwed with her emotions time and time again. In the end, however, both realized they were best suited for one another (and Big even opened up enough for her to learn his real name ;) Awwww.

What happens when a girl is thrown for loop when she meets a Mr. Big? (for those SATC challenged: a man who is consistently nonchalant about where a female stands in his life, the lines are blurred between girl friend, girlfriend and/or friend with benefits). What's going on when the girl has to go out of her way to pursue him and the traditional roles are reversed? NADA, it appears, in real life. You can't make someone want a "relationship" or even a semblance of one. Who wants to put themselves through the torture of waiting around for months for him to decide if you are smart enough, pretty enough, fun enough-I hate to even utter this, but worthy enough to him. It's a slap in the face and it's frustrating.

Mr. Big prefers drinking with the guys and various other extracurricular activities as opposed to occasionally seeing a girl who's into him. He leaves the ladies wondering. Can't or won't commit? It's always the one you fall the hardest for that doesn't want anything of substance. But the one you could do without is always ready. Is there some masochistic allure to this?

P.S. Jill, where's my thank you shout out for lending you my once-worn Betsey Johnson frock? I sense a trend/curse developing since this dress has been worn to 2/2 weddings this summer.

P.S.S. Thanks for the CRAZY, crunk fest, all-in-the-family Presley house party that went til 4:30 this morning. We could all use one of those every now and then...even if 6:30 a.m. came very, very early.

4 Comments:

  • At May 21, 2005 9:44 AM, Blogger The Oscillator said…

    I think most women watch that show from the wrong perspective.

     
  • At May 22, 2005 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nope...no wrong perspective here, Oscillator. It is what it is. We've lived it.

    Julie! I couldn't have said it better. Pretty much an extention of what I was saying in my previous article. Sad to say, I have no answers for you in my crystal ball.

    All I can say is that on one hand, patience IS a virtue, and for some things, we must be patient. (As PetR so illustriously put in his comment before this article)

    How to gauge this patience? Our intuition. It works every time. When just the basic sacrifices to nurture a relationship are not being made, you know it's time to go.

    Hey...maybe with all of our dramatic happenings we should open up a couseling center for single girls in their twenties. Ha.

     
  • At May 23, 2005 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Mr. Big" or "Darth Big" or whatever you want to call him is of the Dark Side.

     
  • At May 31, 2005 7:01 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    Ha. Total Sith.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home