She Said What?!?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Country Clubbin' It

When I wasn't researching LA apartments and jobs this weekend, I spent my time relaxing at the pool. I didn't plan on it being such an eye opener to the woes of my teen years.

I've always viewed myself as having a normal, surburbia childhood. By normal, I mean your typical, middle class life. Though I grew up on a golf course, had easy access to tennis courts and pool, and lived in a nice house, I never really thought twice about it. Now I realize that I had it good and shouldn't have spent so much time in my adolescence complaining about how miserable my life was. Even if I did have to scrub the kitchen floor every weekend before I went out, had a lousy curfew, and spent half my high school time grounded in my room for no apparent reason.

At any rate, as I was listening to Rubber Soul on my iPod, contemplating life, I happened to take notice of the situation I was in. Some would kill for it. Girls with perfect figures in their perfect bikinis. Moms with their kids waiting for dad to meet them for a dip after a round of golf. Babies with floaties on, going for their first swim. Truth is, that is where I grew up. And I never noticed before. It was all just sort of there. I never was really the country club type, although I was born into a better than average golf game.

I don't think I'll miss suburbia. All my life I've been drawn to big cities and yet I continue to live in family land. The rebel in me exists because I was raised in this lifestyle, but never really wanted it anyway. Not to say that I want a crappy life, but I have always been a bit turned off by the ritzy. Don't get me wrong, I want very nice things in life and shoot for the moon, but one must have their priorities straight. Mind over matter. Ya know what I'm sayin'?


Had it been ten years ago and I realized all this, I would've stomped off and drove out blaring some NIN out of my car. These days, I just take it all in because when I do have my city life in the Hollywood Hills, I'll be looking back on these as the good old days.

Sidenote: As I could not pull myself out of lazy land this weekend, I ended up checking out the fireworks up at the club, as well. Not bad, not bad. And thanks to my good ol' buddy Meredith, I had Stella to quench my thirst from the dry, night, golf course air.

15 Comments:

  • At September 07, 2005 6:46 AM, Blogger newton dominey said…

    isn't it funny how "roughing it" as a kid seems so fancy now?

    just think, there's people who think that's the norm, not the exception. you know, the semi-adults (that's us) who still get funding from the fam, still hold it against dad that they didn't get a *new* mercedes as a graduation gift, and still don't know what it's like to pick between responsibility and fun?

    they're the ones missing out.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 7:14 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Between hanging out with the neighbors, coaching and working the concession stand, I have spent more time at that pool than seems humanly possible. It's not a bad gig, although I wish the diving boards were still there.

    I never did understand why you were so unhappy with life. But teens will be teens, and I think the city will do you good. Me, I'm staying here in suburbia.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 7:36 AM, Blogger newton dominey said…

    note to jag: east nashville IS NOT suburbia. i love it, but it's about as close to city livin' as nashville gets.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 7:55 AM, Blogger Stella said…

    I'd rather have the simple life anyday. It scares me, this next generation (the three of us missed it by a few years, luckily), and how they're going to function in life. They have no concept of responsibility. I guess I should be fortunate for kind of living the life, yet realizing that "the life" does not always bring happiness.

    You are so right. They are the ones missing out. If I can show them just a glimpse of what they're missing, I'd feel like I did good.

    Hmmmm...now ya got me thinking.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 9:36 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Re: note to jag

    I dunno...it may be close to the city, but I keep the suburban mindset. When I think city living, I think apartments over clubs on 2nd and high rise apt. buildings in the executive district. Hopefully I'll be going from my pseudo-suburban home to one out in the country in a few years. No city life for me. Whoo hoo!

     
  • At September 07, 2005 9:40 AM, Blogger newton dominey said…

    i can see your blog in 5 years...my septic tank backed up and now i've got feces all over the walls...wait, have i read that before?

     
  • At September 07, 2005 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The PoooooooooooooooooooP Factory!

    I think I was out of town when Jag wrote that article so I wasn't able to leave my sarcastic remarks on it. I did however read it and fall off my chair laughing (sorry Jag). I remember Jill telling me all about the Poop Factory. I will say though, I have since visited the Poop Factory and it no longer looks or smells like Poop. Should I say Poop one more time? Poop.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Stella said…

    I don't make a habit of saying the word poop. But there's something about it. Poop.

    City living doesn't necessarily mean downtown living. Big difference. And that ain't me. But I will consider my quaint little apartment nestled below the Hollywood Hills, just within walking distance to my neighborhood bars, just city enough for me.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 11:31 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    I'm just saying that 'downtown living' is what I consider 'city living'. That's it. I have my house and my yard which happens to be close to the city. I may be wrong. I may be right. I may be crazy. So I misquoted the song a little bit to prove my point. Sue me.

    In the meantime, Blue Light Special on Poop in East Nasty. Poop poop poop.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 12:25 PM, Blogger newton dominey said…

    poop. what a word. it's right up there with (in no special order): balls, junk, doodie, whiz and groin. all are great words for parts or functions that got bad names to start. maybe i'll dedicate a post to this subject. it's a better topic than "are the rolling stones washed up." that's just desperate...

    you're killin' me smalls.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 12:56 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    It's Rotto, thank you very much.

    Rotto the Super Pooper.

     
  • At September 07, 2005 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jill, you are awesome! You are so lucky to have been raised where you did. great place, great family, and great neighbors!!!! It is like a scene from the movie Stepford Wives. I bet the swimming pool is like a fountain of youth also. I bet everytime it rains on you a rainbow follows you. No reason not to go to the Indigo Girls show now!

    P.S. Do you still play golf? we should go sometime:)

     
  • At September 07, 2005 1:52 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    (Tom, the FCC isn't interested in what you have to say and quite frankly, neither am I.)

     
  • At September 07, 2005 1:55 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Burn baby burn, disco inferno!

     
  • At September 08, 2005 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I said that I was not interested in what you had to say, then we would not have been friends for the past three years!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home