She Said What?!?

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Twenty-Seven Years & Still Going Strong

So the birthday celebration was a success. Seeing as most everyone has coupled off these days, it gets harder and harder to get the whole crew together. But they all made it out for my special day and we had a fabulous time. It was Chris and Em (the newlyweds), Bo and Lisa (the about-to-be-weds), Jag, Julie, Tom, and my sis, Holly. (Ciaobella was video-conferenced in.) We started off at Mirror for dinner and drinks. The Blueberry Martinis and Mojitos flowed nicely. And, as usual, the food rocked.

After gift opening and photo shoots (sorry, not my camera...who knows when I'll get the pics), we headed down to the old standby, The Red Door. From then on out, the night was sort of a blur, but we had a damn good time.

Just as the crowd thinned out a bit, I got a text message from this guy informing me that The High Dials show at The Basement was "bad f*cking ass" and I needed to get there. Perfect timing as all the non-music lovers had left, so I whizzed Tom and Alan out the door and we raced over to catch the end of the show.

Turns out "bad f*cking ass" was an understatement. Holy crap. Now, I know it wasn't just the few drinks I had in me that made them sound so good. The dude busted out a sitar...yes, a sitar...and sat in the middle of the stage and just jammed. It was crazy. Total George Harrison. The band followed right behind him and the energy in the room was incredible. Enough to get some serious groove on. I'm buying the record this week. Grimey's, everybody. The High Dials: War of the Wakening Phantoms.

So anyway, I spent the majority of today (my actual birthday) recovering from the madness of Saturday night. I was proud, though, because I kept my promise to myself and still made it to church. My family joined me and then we hit up the famous Loveless Cafe for some good ol' Southern cookin'. Mmmm. Good times were had by all and I don't feel a day older than, well...let's just say I still feel Young At Heart. And I plan on keeping that attitude until I'm 105.

*****
Sidenote: Catch another great show Wednesday night at The Basement. Newton Dominey with Dawn Kinnard and Strays Don't Sleep. 7p, $5.

13 Comments:

  • At August 14, 2005 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey!! Happy Birthday again!!

    Do you know if Loveless takes reservations? I'm too lazy to call.

     
  • At August 14, 2005 8:44 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    Thank you again!!

    Not sure on the reservations. It'd be nice, though. We waited about forty-five minutes. Though it was well worth it.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 5:49 AM, Blogger Carmamma said…

    Hey, Happy Birthday! Hope it was a blast! High Dials are a great band, didn't even know they were touring right now.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think my head still hurts! We need more nights like that one. I had a good time sucking down the drinks. I Like the night life Baby!!!

     
  • At August 15, 2005 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You went to church because you had to cleanse yourself of all the sinning you did on Saturday.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. -
    Imagine. On your next birthday, we might actually get to hang out since you'll be on the other side of the country. When was it that we last hung out on one of our birthdays? 1985?

     
  • At August 15, 2005 8:41 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Mmmmm. Food was awesome. Have to take my resident chef there for some grub. That will be the ultimate test.

    I'm still a little iffy on the in-house liquir infusing. I'm hearing they might use crappy vodka in case it doesn't sell. That would definitely explain the headache I had yesterday.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 8:42 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    liqUOR. Sorry about that.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 10:06 AM, Blogger Stella said…

    I'm with ya on the infusion thing. I rarely get headaches much less hangovers. It's been two days and there's still lingering pain. Unless the bartender at The Red Door poisoned me. Which is actually quite possible.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 10:15 AM, Blogger newton dominey said…

    wish we could've made dinner...we didn't even leave the house until 10.15.

    oh, and sorry we couldn't stay and hang out after fun time with sitars. had to get the old lady to bed. heh, old lady.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 12:56 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    No worries. I'm just glad I finally got to meet her! Although I hope she doesn't think I was a complete lush...I was a bit wacky at that point.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 12:56 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    PS - Thanks for the memory pic...LOVED the show. Fun times!

     
  • At August 16, 2005 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet the bartender at Red Door did poison you. I know her and she is CRAZY! But, she might really like you! Yeah not so much! Of course she likes me, hence the free tab!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home